Before building a backyard stream, there are some design issues that you should consider. Stream construction in your backyard involves a lot of work, but the success of your project regardless of whether you build it yourself or hire someone else to do it for you will depend on your initial design. After calling a pond designer to offer you a proposal, he or she will listen to your proposal, assess your yard and then propose a few design prospects that might fit your requirements. However, there are some factors that you should consider before arriving at a design. These factors apply regardless of whether you or someone else is doing the construction of your backyard stream.
Back Yard Stream Design
- Location – In real estate, they say that it’s all about location. The same applies to backyard streams. The idea is to take advantage of the natural layout of your properties and admire the backyard stream from your favorite spot in your backyard. This might be from the back deck, kitchen or from your patio that faces the stream.
- Slope – The slope of your stream is crucial due to many reasons. First, the drainage away from your home is affected by the natural slope of your yard. Therefore, if you can take advantage of the natural slope of your yard, there will be less material to get rid of. The natural yard slope can also determine whether you build into your design several waterfalls, a rushing brook or a meandering stream.
- Size – When adding water landscape to your yard, do not fit one size. Instead, size the water landscape to blend with your home, yard and other features in your yard such as trees, decks, patios and existing landscape while making sure it stands out at the same time.
- Sound – Some people only want to have a quiet meandering stream in their backyard. On the other hand, you might want to block background noise from traffic with the heavy sound of a waterfall. A rushing stream sometimes offers enough tranquility for relaxing after a day at the office.
- Selection of rocks, plants, etc. – There are various plants and rocks that can be chosen. With such a variety to choose from, it pays to look at different pictures of other backyard streams similar to those you have in mind. There is an old saying that a picture speaks a thousand words and sometimes, that is all that is required to make an idea clear and enable a customer to make a decision. Designers have many pictures you can look at so as to arrive at a decision.
The stream construction designers will also be able to help you make decisions since they have enough experience, construction materials for the work, knowledge of your yard and the budget involved.
All in all, water has the ability to boost your interaction with the outdoors. Streams are extremely versatile and they can make music in nature as they transform gradients and cross the landscape. If you are planning stream construction today, talk to us and find out how we can help.